Extensions available for 2017 tax returns

If you aren’t able to finish your federal income tax return by the April 17 deadline, you can still get an automatic six-month extension. Even if you file for an extension, you are required to pay any taxes you owe by this filing deadline.

An extension gives you more time to file your tax return, but not more time to pay the taxes you owe. You will be charged interest on any taxes you owe and do not pay by the filing deadline. If you are unable to pay on time, contact the IRS to set up a payment agreement. There are special extension rules for members of the military serving in combat zones and to certain others who live outside the U.S. Give us a call if you have questions about your tax return.