Your 401(k) and a job change

If you change jobs this year, don’t forget about your 401(k) in your old employer’s retirement plan.You may be tempted to cash out the balance in the account, but remember that distributions from such accounts are generally taxable.Instead, ask your plan administrator to make a direct rollover to your IRA or another qualified plan.If you’re under age 59½, this decision also avoids the additional 10% penalty on early distributions.An added benefit:Your retirement money can continue to grow tax-deferred.